[OpenLayers-Users] tile gutters

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 02:47:38 EST 2007

Hi Tim,

That looks terrific and I think it will help me a lot with a
long-standing problem: I want to render vectors (arrows) on a tiled
map layer but the arrows will cross tile boundaries and so sometimes
don't line up.  Just a couple of questions:

1) Which version of Openlayers do I need to get the "gutter" feature?
2) How does it work in detail - does OpenLayers request a tile that
is, say, 15 pixels all round bigger than the tile size (i.e. 286x286
pixels instead of 256x256), then only display the middle of the tile?
Or does it overlap tiles in some way, in which case, in what order?
3) Is there a limit to the gutter size?  I might need it to be fairly
big in my application (say 50 pixels at a guess).

Thanks,
Jon

On 1/10/07, Tim Schaub <noreply at geocartic.com> wrote:

> If anybody is using non-cached WMS layers (or other layer types for that
> matter) and is bugged by the tile-edge artifacts, there's a solution:
> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/gutter/examples/gutter.html
>
> This is currently only set up for WMS layers, but is easy to extend to any
> other layer type for which it makes sense.  If this passes review by the dev
> crew, I'll commit it to the trunk.
>
> Glad to hear any feedback,
> Tim

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK