[OpenLayers-Users] Red 'X' tiles

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jan 26 11:39:50 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:22:07AM -0600, Jeff Dege wrote:
> A couple of months ago, I thought I'd read an email on this list
> regarding a proposed solution to the missing tiles problem.  Or if not
> exactly a solution, at least a work-around.
>
> The idea, IIRC, was to walk the tile list loading each tile, and then
> when done, walking it again, to retry each that hadn't loaded the first
> time.
>
> Did this turn out to work?
>
> Was it included in the code?
>
> Because I just tried out release 2.2, and release 2.3-rc2, and with both
> I still see occassional missing tiles.

http://openlayers.org/pipermail/dev/2007-January/000219.html

The "Pink Tile Syndrome" has been reported by a variety of users,
usually on data which is not pre-cached. I haven't personally run into
the problem much, but we've recently (2.3/SVN) added functionality to
help reload tiles which suffer pink tile syndrome.

To enable this functionality in OpenLayers 2.3, simply set the variable:

OpenLayers.IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS = 2;

or something similar.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta