[OpenLayers-Users] Using custom data with the Map Viewer Service

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 30 17:05:06 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:08:38PM +0000, Alexandre Leroux wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've been making unsuccessful tests to make the OpenLayers Map Viewer
> Service work. My first small project is extremely simple: plot some
> locations for carpooling on a webpage using OpenLayers.

>  From this page, http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/MapViewerService
> when I try
> <iframe
> src="http://www.openlayers.org/viewer/?controls=panzoom,mouse&center=42,-71&zoom=10&data=http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/textfile.txt"
>
> style="width:400px; height:400px"></iframe>
> it works. But if I move the textfile.txt to another publicly accessible
> website (and change the html accordingly), even without changing it, I
> get a "Unhandled request return Bad Request" error. What's wrong?

Can you give a URL to a text file that is causing the error? This sounds
like it is likely to be a proxy error on the OpenLayers server -- the
proxy we run there is special to make it access other domains without
being an open proxy.

To be honest, I don't highly recommend use of the MVS for anything other
than playing: setting up OpenLayers yourself is probably just as simple
as trying to make the MVS do what you want it to.

http://openlayers.org/doc/ will get you started, after which
http://openlayers.org/doc/reference.html#OpenLayers.Layer.Text is
probably the next step on your journey. So long as the data you are
problems.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta