[OpenLayers-Users] Google Summer of Code ideas?

Andrew Larcombe andrew at andrewlarcombe.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 06:08:05 EST 2007

Schuyler Erle wrote:
> The call for proposals for Google's Summer of Code program is closing
> soon. Google will pay one or more interns to work on Open Source
> projects over the summer, given a clear description of what the project
> needs doing.
>
> I've put this question over to the other OL core devs this week and
> we've not yet come up with anything really compelling that we see a need
> for that an intern could feasibly hack on over the summer. Does anyone
> else have any good ideas we can propose to Google's SoC program for the
> benefit of the project? Seems a shame to pass up the opportunity.

An itch I had a while back was, admittedly quite modest - but can get as
complex as you like, is for the labelling of markers. I'd like a marker
to have an associated text label which can either be set to on/off,
maybe even display if the mouse if hovered over the marker. Possibly
with clever placement (although implementing this in js may be a pig),
and the ability to be styled with css (as I say, this can get as complex
as you like).

As I say it's quite modest - I hacked something similar together which
implements labels as a separate layer which displays text in a div
rather than an image. It's very hacky and certainly not generic enough
to be usable in any project, or as a basis for anything. but I'll post
it up when I'm done with it.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Larcombe
Freelance Geospatial, Database & Web Programming

web: http://www.andrewlarcombe.co.uk
email: andrew at andrewlarcombe.co.uk
mob: +44 (7760) 258623
icq: 306690163