[OpenLayers-Users] Unnecessary WMS Queries?

Lennox Antoine lxnyce at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:43:11 EDT 2007

Hi All,

New to the list. Don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but I
have been observing the amount of WMS queries that comes across my
client, and it seems like too much.

Take for example the map on the front page of OpenLayers.org. It's a
512x256 map, so I would expect 2 images to cover it, or 6 images in
the worst case scenario. If I look at Firefox->Tools Menu->Page
Info->Media tab, I see that it has two requests.

Now I click the plus button on the map to zoom in 1 level, and I would
expect at most 6 wms tiles to be loaded. Instead 8 wms requests are
made. I hit the plus again, and 28 WMS requests are generated (intead
of max 6).

If the image isn't cached up, this causes a lot of WMS traffic to be
generated on my WMS server, which in turn causes backup since requests
can't be fulfilled in time. In my case, I am dealing with alot of
images that won't necessarily be cached up, and need quicker response
rather than getting coverage. Is there anyway to minimize the amount
of WMS requests that are being made?

-Lennox