[OpenLayers-Users] Scalability, particularly LayerSwitcher and Permalink

Brian Pitts bpitts at emory.edu
Wed Mar 28 01:29:43 EDT 2007

Hi,
    I'm working on a project that will have at least dozens of layers.
The number of layers will definitely grow over time. Have other users
been in this situation? I have questions about how OpenLayers can handle
this.

It seems that only a moderate number of layers would fit in a
LayerSwitcher. There doesn't seem to be an facility for searching or
sorting layers, grouping them, etc. My thought is to create a new
layer-switching widget that would live outside the map's div.

If most of the layers aren't marked visible at any given moment, should
I experience performance problems with a large number of layers defined?

The Permalink code seems to assume that the set of layers remains
static. If someone generated a permalink today, and I added a new layer
tomorrow, they would find the map in a different state when they
returned using the permalink. My thought is to modify the Permalink code
to include the names of visible layers rather than boolean visibility
values.

Thanks,
Brian Pitts