[OpenLayers-Users] unique OL useage

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 03:14:09 EDT 2007

Hi Brent,

This is excellent and I'd be very interested to replicate this for an
application of my own - the visualization of very long timeseries
graphs (so the user can drag along the time axis).  If you are able
and you have the time, I'd be really interested to see more details of
what you had to do to OL to make it work in this way.  If this isn't
possible, I'll poke around in your code if that's OK with you! ;-)

Jon

On 3/28/07, Erik Uzureau <erik.uzureau at metacarta.com> wrote:
> Hi Brent, This is a cool use of OL technology.
>
> we've gone 1D!
>
> Can we add a link to this on:
> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Gallery
> ...?
>
> Erik
>
> On 3/27/07, Brent Pedersen <bpederse at gmail.com> wrote:
> > i'd like to show off the start of what i think is a sensible, but
> > unique openlayers project, and likely the one with the smallest-scale
> > (or is it largest?) -- measured in nucleotides per pixel:
> > http://toxic.berkeley.edu/bpederse/tiler/genome.html  [mostly uncached
> > so it'll be slow if it's not been viewed before]
> >
> > that's using a colleague's image generation [ perl/GD ] and the view
> > is limited to a single organism for debugging, but can be easily
> > changed to any organism for which we have sequence/features.  the db
> > queries + image generation is pretty slow, so i do caching via a
> > simple perl script [also added the ability to cache via tilecache but
> > we dont generally run mod_python or fastcgi].
> >
> > this has just been a side project but is pretty simple and only really
> > involves _removing_ functionality from OL to make it 1D. things like
> > replacing spiralTileLoad() with linearTileLoad().
> >
> > now, it's a matter of adding mapping niceties such as allowing the
> > user to enter an address (gene name or protein or basepair) and zoom
> > in and/or query. and speeding up the queries.
> >
> > as a comparison, the current popular genome-browser--with more
> > functionality than i intend to add--looks like this:
> > http://dev.wormbase.org/db/seq/gbrowse/yeast/?name=I
> >
> > i still have some work to go, but it's exciting to see genes floating
> > around in there.  thanks to the openlayers developers for making it
> > easy.
> >
> > -brent

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK