[OpenLayers-Users] reason why there needs to be ArcIMS support in OpenLayers

Mike Quentel mikequentel at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 13:51:12 EDT 2007

Thank you for the advice.

In a few years, the old (3.x - 9.x) ArcIMS server software will likely become obsolete.  ESRI are already pushing ArcGIS Server as their flagship server-side GIS/web mapping software.  I do not know if ArcXML will continue to be a supported means of communicating with the server.

But, as happened with other older versions of ESRI software (like ArcView 3.x, ARC/INFO, etc), there will be plenty of organisations using the older ArcIMS software for a good number of years.  It has commanded popularity with very many government sites and corporate sites.  So, I think ArcIMS support and general ArcXML support in OL would be very well-received.  You could even publish it at the ESRI web site for sharing software and scripts: http://arcscripts.esri.com/  I bet if you did this, OL would become even more popular.

OL greatly impresses me, and I have been using ESRI software for over a decade.

Mike Quentel