[OpenLayers-Users] label truncation

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Thu May 24 06:04:40 EDT 2007

I have tried to use an overlayed wms layer that only draws labels and
that seemed to work ok without chopping any labels. Don't know if it's
luck or not... I'm using ArcIMS.

Another idea that crossed my mind was using the same approach but with
WMS.Untiled just for the labels layer. This way I suppose the map would
continue to offer tile-by-tile download of the main map. The user
wouldn't notice the difference, I suspect. Don't know if my assumptions
are correct though.

One disadvantage of using several layers in OL is memory usage grows a
lot as the user pans and zooms. It seems the number of tiles downloaded
keep accumulating in memory. After a while you could have FF taking
200MB. This is only from my limited experience and maybe there's
something I could be doing to alleviate this that I don't know of.

Regards,
Duarte Carreira