[OpenLayers-Users] what does this error mean?

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Tue May 29 16:49:38 EDT 2007

Ah, excellent. Again, Mr. Schmidt, you have saved my day.
    http://69.59.158.10/openlayers/

I did take an extra step, though, and change the MapServerLayer layers
into WMSServer layers and pointed them at http://localhost/mapserv in
the usual fashion. I presume that a wms driver will be slower than a
mapfile driver, but I do enjoy the debugging ability and the
pluggability for when we move the imagery hosting elsewhere. Besides, I
plan to seed the cache anyway...

So thank you again!

Although my map now *works* I would like to go the extra step and
*understand* what's going on here. I even volunteer to write up the Wiki
page on what I had to go through, if this stuff isn't so obvious that
it's not necessary. OL's FAQ entry about getting it to work with TC just
says to read the README, so... :)

   [cities]
   debug=false
   extension=gif
   type=WMSLayer
   url=http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/maps/wms/wms.map
   layers=cities
   bbox=-124.15456,40.41142,-123.7844,40.61528
   maxResolution=1.40625

These last 2 are what fixed it, and are what I don't get.

Why would tilecache need to know the max extent? The WMS server will
gladly serve up -180,-90,180,90 without an error (though of course
Humboldt County isn't in fact visible). Is this a matter of OL making a
request that TC refuses to serve, or what?

And what is the maxResolution used for on TC's part?

> Also, for your overlays, add a 'reproject: false' option if they're tc
> overlays:

Interesting; that does fix it and seems to be necessary. What does the
reproject:false option accomplish? It wasn't necessary when I first set
this stuff up and had it working, but evidently is necessary now...

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA