[OpenLayers-Users] Need help understanding UTM

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Tue Nov 13 03:06:46 EST 2007

It depends on what you want to use the map for: Do you show the whole world  or a particular part of the world , and if so at what scale range? Do you need the map to be true to scale or true to form? Depending on all these questions you'd have to choose an appropriate projection.

>From your enquiry I get the impression you want to make a map of the whole world. In that case, UTM is not the best option, because it's a projection that was designed for showing limited parts of the world, basically fitting into one UTM zone, which is 6 degree of longitude. You can show the whole world using any of these zones, but the more you are outside of the zone, the bigger the distortions become.

You can of course make a WMS layer for every zone and show each of these using the zone's UTM projection.

You can start with any map, so one in latlon WGS-84 (4326) would work, you'll have your WMS software then reproject it into the projection you'd want.

For some background to the projections, I'd recommend http://kartoweb.itc.nl/geometrics/
--
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-information Sciences and  Earth Observation (ITC)