[OpenLayers-Users] limitation of fix #487 to wrap the dateline

Ryan Hofschneider ryan.hofschneider at ngc.com
Fri Nov 30 17:23:23 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 1:32 PM, pdecker wrote:

> Could someone explain the limitation listed below?
>
> Limitations/expectations of this patch:
> Requests which cross the date line are *not* wrapped, so they will
> request
> content outside the world if it does not divide evenly.

Although I do not know what the above limitation means, I can report
that I have had much success with the wrapDateLine option.

If you haven't seen the live example of this feature already, it is at:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/wrapDateLine.html

Some trickery will often have to occur at the WMS service provider
level to support features that span the anti-meridian however. I am
using GeoServer with PostGIS+PostgreSQL, neither of which provide
support for wrapped features. I must split linestrings and polygons at
the anti-meridian, transforming them into multilinestrings and
multipolygons. The features I ultimately serve up from the database
are wholly contained in the [-180,180] longitude range.

If this is all that you do for polygons that span, then you end up
with a vertical line where the two parts of the split polygon meet.
Depending on how you are trying to render your polygons (e.g., filled
or not) you can do some additional trickery with your Style Layer
Descriptor (SLD) and additional linestrings of the polygon's outer
boundary to eliminate that vertical line.

I have also experimented with various hacks to properly display of
vectors and markers from a WFS layer on a wrapped display. I have
accomplished this by brute force -- the solution is quite inelegant,
inefficient, and breaks some core functionality. First, the entire
data set from a WFS layer is loaded all at once. Second, each feature
is displayed three times -- once at its original location, at a -360
degree offset, and at a +360 degree offset.

Cheers,
Ryan