[OpenLayers-Users] geometry.getLength() returns what format

Pedro Simonetti pedrosimonetti at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:39:49 EDT 2008

Pierre GIRAUD wrote:

> The reason why you were advised not to use this code in a production
> environnement is probably because it comes from a sandbox.
> As you probably already know, sandboxes are there to let developers
> play with OpenLayers code and new features.
>
> That said, the considered code may still need work, or may be based on
> an old version of OpenLayers. It will therefore be somewhat difficult
> to upgrade to a new OpenLayers version (2.6 when it will be out for
> example) when you'll need to.

Thanks Pierre,

Actually, I'm using it in 2.6 RC1, and it's working well. And since this
feature is provided by a single external js file
(Openlayers/Control/Measure.js), I think that will be easy to put this as an
openlayers addin. There's no need to change other openlayers files, except
the "openlayers.js", where you need to add a single line to make this
feature loaded, like:

        var jsfiles = new Array(
            "OpenLayers/Control/Measure.js",

The only problem I found is that the measure tool is kinda slow in IE, but I
think this is a problem of IE rendering vectors. But, I'm fine, I don't see
this as a real problem.

I saw many people asking about this feature here at the forum, so I think
that will be great see this tool as an addin of the final 2.6.

regards,

Pedro Simonetti.