[OpenLayers-Users] Seams in my imagery

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Aug 12 10:02:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:29:01AM -0400, Matthew Atkins wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have some imagery that is projected in WGS84 + UTM Zone which is
> showing some "seams" along the grid lines when I use OpenLayers as my
> viewer. I believe that this is a problem with the WMS provider (ESRI's
> wmsconnector) but they have told me that they do not support 3rd party
> viewers (OL) so I am stuck in a quandary.

1. I would recommend trying a 'gutter' property of 10px or so, if it's
   just tile edges causing the problem.

2. The next step might be to take a single image from OL, put it in an
   HTML page with a red background, and see if you can reproduce edge
   defects, in which case it might be very easy to take the case to ESRI
   that their WMS is misbehaving. (MapServer in the 4.x series used to
   do this, for example: I've used this method to force an upgrade of
   MapServer for an employer before.)

3. A third step might be to try to move away from data being served
   by ESRI in its entirity... is there some strong reason you need to
   use ESRI tools to serve the data?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta