[OpenLayers-Users] WMS overlaid on Google "spherical mercator" in OpenLayers

Andrew Murdoch a_murdoch at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:58:17 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm cross-posting to the Geoserver and OpenLayers lists with this question.

I'm using Geoserver 1.6.0 RC2 and OpenLayers 2.5 with Firefox 2.0.0.11.  I'm trying to display a WMS layer overtop of Google background data using the OpenLayers javascript client.  The Google data shows up fine and I'm getting the topp:states WMS layer from Geoserver to show up, but only half of the WMS states features show up at zoom level 1.  Only the eastern states show up with a vertical line cutting north to south.  When I zoom in closer on the US, all the WMS features show up overlain on the Google data.  It's almost as if at small "world-wide" scales, there are too many tiles to display and the WMS is only partially displayed.

I've duplicated this behavior with other WMS layers from my Geoserver installation.  At small "world-wide" scales, the WMS data is cut off.  When you zoom in, the WMS is displayed normally.

I've been using a modified copy of the "spherical-mercator.html" example to get this far.  I can send in javascript code or screenshots if that would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!!
Andrew