[OpenLayers-Users] changing tile load functionality

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:33:49 EST 2008

I am currently using OpenLayers 2.5 with kamap1.0 as my backend, trying to
speed this thing up a little bit.  I know getting rid of kamap and replacing
it with something else would probably help a lot, but im trying to optimize
openlayers before i dive into that.  Right now, the main problem i can see
that openlayers is having and is giving the appearance of poor speed, is
that it is loading tiles off the screen before loading tiles on the screen.
I would like to change this functionality.  I'm not afraid to get my hands
dirty with code, so if anyone has any suggestions about a way to change
this, i'm open to suggestions.

One thing i was considering, ive been looking at the code, and it appears
that it loads the tiles from left to right.  One thing ive considered is
would give the appearnce of speed, by loading the tiles on the screen first,
then continuing to load off-screen tiles in the backgroudn to prepare for
panning.  It seems the place to make this change is in initGriddedTiles(),
but im not 100% sure and i dont wanna f*** things up too bad without getting
some advice/opinions from the openlayers experts.

So, any ideas how to make the initial tiles grabbed by openlayers to be the
ones on the screen, as opposed to ones off the screen?