[OpenLayers-Users] Ubuntu + Apache + proxy.cgi

Josh Livni mailing_lists at umbrellaconsulting.com
Tue Jan 8 12:09:32 EST 2008

Not sure if you're somewhat new to linux or not, but just in case, here
are some common gotchas I've come across:

In addition to copying the proxy.cgi to a folder where Apache will run
cgi executables for you, also be sure your proxy.cgi is executable
(permission-wise) by the user running the apache process (probably
www-user).  You may wish to just to 'chmod a+x proxy.cgi) to ensure it's
executable by everyone for testing.

If you do want to make a new folder that is specifically cgi-executable
to put your proxy.cgi in, a simple example of how to do this for
tilecache is available under the 'running under cgi' section of the
readme for that program
(http://svn.tilecache.org/trunk/tilecache/docs/README.txt), and you can
follow the same concept for any cgi program you want to run.

Also, just in case, be sure you can run the program outside of apache by
just doing ./proxy.cgi in a shell -- if there are errors, such as it
can't find the python program, or you've edited in windows and the
newlines are compatible, this will help isolate some problems.

Cheers,

 -Josh