[OpenLayers-Users] Possible pink tile fix

Ben Brehmer bbrehmer at refractions.net
Fri Jan 11 13:12:58 EST 2008

Hello all,

I just wanted to throw this out there as it might be useful to others;
We'd been having some problems with pink tiles, even with
IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS set to a large number (10). The tile reload would
max out and the tile still wouldn't load properly in IE6 & 7. But adding
a dynamic dummy parameter to the problem images' URL seems to have
solved the problem.

In the Util.js::onImageLoadError() function we simply modify the src of
the tile:

var tmp_src = this.src;
this.src = tmp_src+"&retry="+this._attempts;

This allows you to monitor how many times an image fails to load from
your server logs as well.

Thanks,

Ben