[OpenLayers-Users] Firefox performance issues on Windows

Matt Williamson MatthewDW at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:14:28 EDT 2008

Hello list,

I wrote a while back about this, but I was having a bit of trouble
reliably reproducing it, and I didn't have the page up and publicly
accessible yet...now I have both.

The page below works great in Safari 3/Mac, Safari 4DP/Mac, IE7/Win,
Firefox 2/Mac and Firefox 3/Mac/Linux. But it is dog slow in Firefox 2
and Firefox 3 on Windows. Panning/dragging is stuttery to the point of
being nearly unusable, and in some cases even moving the mouse over
the map can stutter, and seems to spin the CPU unnecessarily. This is,
for example, on a Core 2 Duo system with plenty of RAM. At first I
thought it had to do with the Vector layers, but it seems to do mostly
the same thing with the vector layers turned off.

Any ideas as to what's causing the problem would be extremely
appreciated!:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pih/firewx/maps.php?area=Central%20Idaho

Thanks!

-Matt

P.S.: Probably unrelated, but I think I also have something wrong with
my scales/resolutions or something, because double-clicking the map
would change the center to some place far south of the click (so I
disabled double-click)...if anyone notices something wrong that might
cause this, that would be great to know too!