[OpenLayers-Users] Google+Vector+Marker

realjax jax at schildmos.nl
Fri Jul 11 03:11:49 EDT 2008

fevans wrote:

> I've observed that a lot of people are struggling with Google + Vector +
> Marker. The complexity seems to originate from wanting to combine WMS +
> google layers on a single map,  I'd eventually like to do that as well,
> but before tackling that I'd like to see a map with...
>
> 1. A single google baselayer
> 2. A single Vector
> 3. A single Marker.
> 4. The ability to zoom and pan (which preserves the registration of the
> Vector & Marker).
>
> I realize this seems trivial, but it represents a hefty percentage of the
> postings. If someone already has this please reply. If not, I'll post it
> when I'm done.

I've got this working without problems. Did not have specific problems
related to this combination either.

fevans wrote:

> QUESTIONS:
> 1. The Google examples show a 512 X 512 div. Is this a requirement? Are
> the tiles 256 X 256? Could I safely do something like "1024 X 512"?

The tiles served by google are a predefined size so you can't change them.
But why would you want to do that?

fevans wrote:

> 2. I've experimented with the forwardMercator, and inverseMercator
> functions. Are these still the recommended solution? When I attempt to
> construct a LinearRing or Feature from the points returned by
> forwardMercator, I get an undefined error.

Can't help you there. I've set my map to GWS84 projection and used google
(EPSG: 900931) as the display projection. All I have used is the
sphericalMercator property for the google layers.

fevans wrote:

> 3. http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/spherical-mercator.html
>    This Url clearly works very well. Vectors stay registered with
> pan/zoom. Unfortunately it relies on the EditingToolbar, which obscures
> the process of constructing Vectors.

I'm not really sure what is you are asking here. If the question is 'will
vectors work when not used in combination with the editing toolbar?' then
the answer is yes.

Mind you, allthough the Google+Vector+Marker works like any other
layer/vector/marker combination in Openlayers, there are still issues.
Specifically when you'd like to use some specific event handling on both the
marker and the vector layer at the same time.  I am at the moment strugling
with a situation where both markers and vectors are shown, and both need to
show a popup on a mouse click. And from what I've read in other postings,
this might not even be possible..

cheers
jax.