[OpenLayers-Users] WFS Layer and SLD

2StepForward kwegezeder at web.de
Thu Jul 17 08:29:31 EDT 2008

Hello List,

I have a problem where I don't know how to solve it. I run GeoServer with
tilecache on Server side and OpenLayers on Client side. Additionaly I have a
backend database(MySQL) which is binding to GeoServer and could present some
feature types.

Fist I need it to drag, insert, update and delete some WFS-feature types
from client side and all of that work realy great. Most of my feature types
has a geometry of POINT and use a vector style to display differently
externalGraphics. The externalGraphics style attribute is set to Server side
path and the graphic himself comes from the backend database and will
concatinate in the preinsertFeature function.

Now I have add an additional attribute named "name" to the backend database
featuretables which hold the full name of every feature. It is no problem to
get them with the extractAttribute=true definition, but how is it possible
to use this attribute to show it up into a style definition, like SLD.
In GeoServer it is possible to create some different styles(SLD) which
includes database attributes to show up in WMS requests.
Is there any way to define same for WFS, or a work around for that problem.

Thanks for every answer or tip which can help,

Cheers Klaus