[OpenLayers-Users] IE panning problem

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jul 21 10:01:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 03:30:52PM +0200, Patrick Valsecchi wrote:
> On Monday 21 July 2008 14.36:36 Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > IE is slower,
> > but not quite as slow as this
> > But a link might help.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd say it's slower than a normal user can cope, especially when zooming.
>
> I have an OL (current SVN version) web site with a WMS base layer (tiled) and
> a WMS alpha=true layer (not tiled).

Yes. The alpha: true doesn't work. You shouldn't use it. If you are
using it, you will get this behavior. OL can't do anything about it.

I've explained this problem to several dozen people over the past two
years, and everyone has told me "It should work!" But it doesn't. Alpha
PNG support was left out of IE6 for performance reasons: Turning it on
doesn't fix the performance problems, and doesn't work for solving this.

The haiku you quoted was simply stating that if you turn off alpha hack
support, you'll still have something much slower than Firefox -- but
nothing like what you get if you have alpha: true.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta