[OpenLayers-Users] specifying options for OL class properties--when to use quotes?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jul 24 22:18:48 EDT 2008

On 24-Jul-08, at 8:02 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 01:37:37AM +0200, Kristian Thy wrote:
>>>
>>> "Double", but I never let that affect my Javascript.
>>
>> Single and double quotes are interchangeable (as long as they match
>> in
>> pairs :-) ) in Javascript, just as in (X)HTML.
>
> JSON is not Javascript.
>
> JSON is a subset of Javascript, and single quotes are not allowed.
>
> (As far as I know, all Javascript JSON parsers support single-quoted
> keys/values, but most other implementations do not.)

For reference, see the language description at http://json.org/.

I'm lazy and have trained myself to use single quotes to save the
effort of hitting the shift key in javascript, but it does become
important in other languages like PHP where double-quoted strings are
different from single quoted strings.

I don't really have a preference for coding objects in javascript (a
minor preference to no quoting of keys in objects), but if we are
preparing a JSON string for consumption elsewhere then it should
follow the spec and not rely on javascript's flexibility.

Cheers

Paul

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer