[OpenLayers-Users] Animation in OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon May 19 19:44:05 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 03:29:29PM +0200, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S wrote:
> I can see that there are several patches supporting zoom animation,
> which are reportedly included in OpenLayers 2.6.
> Why are these not enabled in the demo application on the main page?
> http://openlayers.org/

Because, to be frank, the feature is buggy enough that I seldom enable
it on fast, tiled maps.

I like the feature a lot, and think it has a place, but the main
OpenLayers homepage is one place where I think being a bit more
considerate of users who have browsers which perform less well is
important: In Safari, for example, teh feature tends to mean that
instead of getting a nicely resized set of tiles, you get randomly
ordered tiles stuck all over the place until the new ones load in.

This is also the case in Google Maps, so I don't consider it to be a
showstopper in OpenLayers, but on the homepage, I would personally
prefer to keep it somewhat simple: if they want the cool effects, they
can hit the examples.

That said, the website is not really something anyone has spent a lot of
love on, so if someone were to want to revamp it, they should feel free
to offer. The code is in SVN --
http://svn.openlayers.org/project/website/ -- and I'd be glad to have
more people working on managing and maintaining the website as our
public face to the project.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta