[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers application in production

Nils Weinander nils.weinander at curalia.se
Tue May 20 00:17:03 EDT 2008

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:54:33PM +0200, Nils Weinander wrote:
>> The application we have worked on since January is now in
>> production:
>>
>> http://www.fmis.raa.se/cocoon/fornsok/
>
> Nils,
>
> Thank you for the URL! I'm assuming that it's acceptable to include this
> on our Gallery wiki page?

Absolutely!

> I see that you use "slimcache" for caching: Was TileCache looked at at
> all? Any particular feedback on why you used one over the other?

If you refer to the Python-based TileCache it is because
it would have been a major pain to get mod_python added
to our rather suboptimal apache installation.

My colleague Per-Olof Noren then started off from JTileCache
and wrote a simpler, less generic version, tailored to our needs
(use only disk for storing etc.) and I rewrote the storage
algorithm to use two directory levels for the tiles and a
simple grid index for the tile file names instead of the
corner coordinates.

We will however look into GeoWebCache when time and customer
budget permits as we want to cache the object geometries
as well and then need a cach with an API to invalidate
tiles.