[OpenLayers-Users] question about OpenLayers.Format.GML.v2

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Nov 6 12:59:19 EST 2008

Hey-

bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> the constructor of the new GML2 parser gets a featureType parameter.
>
> Does this mean that if a GML file contains multiple featureTypes, that I
> have to call read multiple times, and append the results myself? Will this
> be as efficient as doing the parsing in a single round?

Yeah, this is because up until this point, vector formats have been used
to read/write collections of features, and I think of collections of
features as layers.

I'd like to continue thinking that way (because I think it works).  But
I know there are people who are interested in making WFS requests for
multiple feature types (which I like to think of as layers).

I really want to get WFS working for the most common cases.  And I want
it to be solid (with good support for transactions and filtered
queries).  I've made a boatload of changes in the topp/wfs sandbox -
including changes to the GML & Filter code.

My spare energy will be focussed on getting this code (the WFS protocol
and related GML & Filter changes) in to the trunk.  Modifying the
existing GML code is a bit at odds with that.

I also know that it will make sense to have the protocol be used in the
absence of a layer.  And of course we want to support our OGC protocol
power user(s).

Bart, can you describe (perhaps again) where you want to make a single
request for multiple feature types.  I'm sure it is done all the time, I
just usually see a way that I think it simpler, so I'm curious to hear
more use cases.

Tim

> Best regards,
> Bart