[OpenLayers-Users] loadURL documentation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 11 19:52:25 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:35:50PM -0500, ajohnson at ecotropolis.com wrote:
> I went to the following page:
>
> http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.7/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html
>
> and can find no match when I do a search on 'loadURL'. So I'm looking in
> the wrong documentation apparently. I've been assuming all along that the
> "last stable release" is probably the most up to date version. Oops.

Ah. The "Last Stable Release" is the correct set f docs if you're using
2.7, but we don't typically worry about doing new releases specifically
for documentation. As a result, as we improve our documentation -- and
make more documentatin available -- we typically see it taking affect on
trunk (which is the URL I gave) immediately, with a delayed following on
in the next release of the software.

In this case, loadURL was always documented, but not in the API Docs,
only for developers:

 http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.7/doc/devdocs/files/OpenLayers/Ajax-js.html

But we recently changed that in trunk.

So, nothing you were doing was wrong, but our dcumentation was
insufficient in this case -- but using the developers dcs if you can't
find something in the API docs is usually a good start.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta