[OpenLayers-Users] What is Open Layers

Robert Ford tf.rockfish at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 07:27:44 EST 2008

HI group,
I have been wondering if someone could explain in simple terms what is Open
Layers all about. The description on website is non conclusive for me to
relate it to other open source initiatives like geoserver or geonetowork or
mapserver.

How does Open Layers work?
What can we do with Open Layers that we cant do with Geoserver?
How do you compare Open Layers with Geoserver/Mapserver?
Whats the benefit of using OpenLayers ?

How do you work with Open Layers and integrate it with other servers like
Mapguide  etc

My apologies if I'm being totally novice. Sort of lost in the concept of
Open Layers.

Really appreciate if someone can address this for me.

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Robert