[OpenLayers-Users] Question on changing Popups on Textlayer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 18 15:35:31 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 03:27:34PM -0500, Yves Moisan wrote:

> OK.  I went too quick on one point.  I had cut and paste some code that
> was looking for feature.name.  Switching that to feature.title got rid
> of the "undefined" I had.  I hadn't payed attention because according to
> http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Text-js.html :
> "The possible columns are: ... title ..."
>
> So I understand that the title column can be named something else like
> name ?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Is your question "Can the
OpenLayers code be changed to support this?" If so, the answer is, in my
opinion, "no": this format only exists for historical reasons, and any
new development should be done with more sane formats.

> Could "lat" be renamed "latitude" then ?  Point is : that is a
> departure from layer.text, albeit a minor one I admit.

Again, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

> More important a
> departure IMO is that now one has to have values for iconSize and
> iconOffset.  With a layer.text, those were optional.

Fair enough. I'm willing to cnosider that a bug: Please feel free to
file a ticket folowing the instructions in
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/FilingTickets

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta