[OpenLayers-Users] Can I draw a "great circle" Vector?

Arnd Wippermann arnd.wippermann at web.de
Wed Oct 1 20:21:38 EDT 2008

Hi Ken,

Also interested in this question I have found 2 functions at the mentioned
side http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm to calculate the distance and
the waypoints between 2 points. (In the trac... Point.js I could not see a
way to calculate the waypoints)

I have for own purposes build a simple application to test the haversine
lines. It seems to be all right.
http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/apps/OLExamples/OL26/examples/orthodrome.html

There are two points, that could be moved around, and then you can calculate
the route.

Script:
http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/apps/OLExamples/OL26/examples/javascript/orthodro
me.js

The way I create the line features are a bit unusable (Write a WKT string
and then use the OpenLayers.Format parser to import the WKT string). There
are other ways to do this with OpenLayers.

To get a curve you have to approximate the haversine line with a couple of
lines. I have choosen 100 lines to get a smooth curve.

Arnd Wippermann