[OpenLayers-Users] Parameters in URL

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Oct 7 15:19:22 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Our application generates an iframe that calls an html in which our
OpenLayers map is defined.  We use that to have an overall map.  Now,
we'd like to be able to zoom in around a given feature.  I know a
combination of setCenter and zoom level can do it for a point (or a bbox
in the general case) but we'd like to use the same html file and pass
arguments in the url.

I came across this : http://openlayers.org/QuickTutorial/ where one can
see a "viewer" that points to an html file that can parse arguments in
the url.  That's exactly what we're looking for.  Looking around, I
found the OpenLayers.Util.getArgs function that is used in the viewer is
now deprecated in favor of OpenLayers.Util.getParameters, so that kind
of rang a bell (e.g. is this still the "best practice").  If I follow
the example, that means every html file where an Openlayers map is
defined that one wants to send url paramters to needs to be "viewified"
like in the viewer example.  Are there higher level wrappers to allow
one to pass url parameters to existing html files or do we need to
modify the html files directly ?

TIA,

Yves Moisan