[OpenLayers-Users] layer options

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 22 07:36:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 02:48:09PM -0500, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> Hello,
> I am working with a turbogears widget for openlayers and I was
> wondering if you could point me to documentation on layers options:
>

> ol = WMS(name="OpenLayers WMS",
>         url=["http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0"],
>         options = {'layers':'basic'})
>
> layers : basic
> layers: landsat7
> what other options are there?

Lukasz,

Layers in OpenLayers can be any number of things. You are limited,
specifically, by the "url" you provide, and what layers that server
provides: There are hundreds (or thousands) of WMS servers on the web,
each with different data that they're serving. There is no single set of
options to go with -- and you can even create your own server using Open
Source software.

So, to answer your question, there is no specific list of layer options:
there are many different ones, epending on the servers you're pointing
to, and more.

In addition, as you noted, there may be other layer types available:
TMS, Google, etc. I don't kno how your Python code handles these, but I
can say that they do exist within OpenLayers.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta