[OpenLayers-Users] center crosshairs?

geoman csabbey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 14:21:16 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to add a icon that is fixed at the center of a map, to show
where the center is when people are zooming. I didn't see a way to add an
icon to a map directly, and it looks like if I put the icon in a marker and
then add that to a layer on the map then the icon will move with the map.

My solution was to add the icon through the DOM (using Prototype:)
				var centerIcon = new Element("img");
				centerIcon.src = "img/center5.gif";
				centerIcon.id = "mapCenter";
				centerImg.setStyle({
					left: ((document.viewport.getWidth() / 2) - (centerImg.getWidth() / 2))
+ 'px',
					top: ((document.viewport.getHeight() / 2) - (centerImg.getHeight() /
2)) + 'px'
				});
				$('map_OpenLayers_ViewPort').insert(centerIcon);

Here is the styling I used for this element:
  img#mapCenter {
  	position: absolute;
  	z-index: 10000;
  }

Is there a way to do this using the OpenLayers API? If not, can you offer
any solutions with a couple major problems I see with the above approach:
1. The icon isn't always at the center of the map; it is always close, but
when I zoom in I can tell it is slightly high and to the left. I'm not sure
why it is usually dead-center and sometimes off-center.
2. Markers under the icon no longer receive mouse events. I tried to set the
z-index of the icon so it would be under my marker layer, but my
map_OpenLayers_Container has a z-index of 749 and my marker layer has a
z-index of 350, and I can't set the z-index both above 749 (so the icon is
visible over the map tiles) and below 350 (so the markers will receive input
events).

Thanks in advance,
Craig