[OpenLayers-Users] loading heavy WFS. solutions?

Simone Gadenz simone.gadenz at jrc.it
Thu Sep 18 03:09:32 EDT 2008

My two cents:

- if the WFS serves a large number of small polygon I believe you should set
an upper zoom limit to avoid the map to be really crowded and not readable,
hence not usable from your demanding users;
- we had a similar problem with a point layer of global critical
infrastructures and we approached the problem in a sligthly different way:
	1- we serve the layer as wms until a certain scale, the user can
click on the feature,  	the server send back all the information of that
point and a popup shows those info. No 	hoovering at this scale
 	2- at a larger scale we publish the layer as wfs limiting the number
of features	 	returned; obviously it is important to estimate the
limit on the number of features 	returned according to the spatial
density of the features in the layer
- in your case I probably would follow a similar strategy but I would send
back to the user the polygon corresponding to the clicked point as vector
feature (GML, GeoJSON, etc...)

Cheers

Simone