[OpenLayers-Users] wfs, state plane, and spherical mercator

David Hollema dhollema at UnitedPower.com
Mon Apr 6 16:56:42 EDT 2009

Here's my dilemma.  I have a map with projection defined as spherical
Mercator, EPSG 900913.  I have a geoserver WMS layer whose native
projection is state plane Colorado north (EPSG 2231).  With help from
the lists, I'm able to overlay the WMS fine on a Virtual Earth map.
When I add a new WFS layer (pointing at the same geoserver data) using
similar constructor as the WMS, the WFS layer does not overlay fine,
it's shifted way off.  That's problem 1.  I can't figure out how to get
the WFS to overlay.

Next question.  I want to recenter the map based on a feature created
from a separate WFS request.   I use OL.Format.GML and the read method
to create a new feature from the responseXML.  When I look at the
geometry of the point feature, the x,y cords are in the native
coordinates.  I tried point.transform("EPSG:2231","EPSG:900913") but the
transformation never works properly.  All the examples I see go from
4326 to 900913.  My data are in State Plane.  I would expect that the
underlying transformation library could handle this transformation but
maybe not?

Thanks,

Dave

David A. Hollema