[OpenLayers-Users] GYMO ToS for intranet use

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Apr 14 13:57:39 EDT 2009

Hi All,

We are considering alternatives for a basemap for a customer amongst the
traditional GYMO providers :

- Google
- Yahoo!
- MS-VE
- OpenStreetMap

Given the current G rage, everyone wants Google.  But the Google ToS
explicitly forbids using the Google layers behind a firewall unless one
pays > $10  K.

I read the Yahoo! ToS and I *think* a customer (company) can use it on
their intranet, although I don't know what that

"Personal Use Only. You agree to use the Data together with Yahoo! Maps
solely for personal, non-commercial purposes for which you were
licensed,"

means.  Does a company that maps their points on a Yahoo! base map are
doing a "personal" use of the Yahoo! basemap ?  I would tend to think so
because they are using the basemap only as a background for their own
data and they are not giving a mapping service to anybody but themselves
(insofar as using a basemap is considered a commercial mapping
service ...).

I haven't read the ToS for VirtualEarth yet and I'm confident the CC-SA
license for OSM allows for use in intranets.  I'm curious as to how
people on this list cope with the "I want a free Google-like on my
intranet" problem.  What do you suggest your customers use ?

In my area, Yahoo! Streets is much more accurate than Google Streets,
but the most accurate is OSM ('cos I mapped it :-).  If I could be
reasonably sure that the Yahoo! ToS allows for use on intranets, I would
suggest the customer a dual approach : OSM and Yahoo!  Suggestions /
experiences to share  ?

TIA,

Yves Moisan