[OpenLayers-Users] since I'm a little dense...

Nicholas Efremov-Kendall n.e.kendall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 11:12:36 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm still trying to make a dynamic POI, or marker, or points layer, whatever
you want to call it, that changes the points in the map in response to
user's searches. I can't use mapserver or a pre-programmed server-side
option, so I'm forced to write my own gml or wkt. I'm still not quite sure
how to get this GML to OL and then replace it by the next search.

 I think there are two options. One of which would be to send data to a
markers layer and have JS write the markers out. The other would be to have
php re-write the gml file on the server and theoretically, this should
create a new set of points each time the search is submitted. Not sure what
the best/easiest option would be with respect to coding (either on the
browser or server-side) or from a performance perspective. Does anyone have
any recommendations? I'm basically copying a php/mysql kml tutorial and
adapting it to GML (for largely ideological reasons). I've just re-read the
GML documentation, and it states that the GML is meant to only be loaded
once, so should I be focusing on a dynamic marker layer or what?

In effect, all I really want is a simple ajax function to load the
POI/markers that correspond to search criteria, such that every search
produces a unique (within a limited span of variation of course). The maps
centering won't really change, just the make up of the sites displayed in
the map. I can write the gml server side, and I can send the request, but
I'm not sure what to do with the call-back or how to feed that info to OL.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help.
(incidentally, I'd be willing to consider contracting someone to do this)

best,
Nick