[OpenLayers-Users] Get All Feature Information in a Layer

Josh Oman joman at geoanalytics.com
Mon Aug 17 17:32:42 EDT 2009

Hello Openlayers User,

I am creating a simple search feature with OpenLayers, Geoserver, and
postGIS in a "static" website.  The process I am using is as follows:
user submits a cql string, the cql string is used to create a filtered
layer, the filtered layer is displayed on the map, OpenLayers is used to
generate an html table that contains a row for each feature in the
filtered layer.  The result is a map displaying the filtered features,
and next to the map is a table displaying some data for each of the
filtered features.

As I understand GetFeatureInfo it will not return information for all
features in the filtered layer since it requires a click's X,Y
coordinate.  I am looking for an OpenLayers function to get an info
table from GeoServer that is populated with data from every feature in
the filtered layer.

I just started working with open source gis, so there may be a better
approach to searching/filtering that I am not aware of.  Please direct
me to a better approach, if you know of one.

Thank you,

Josh