[OpenLayers-Users] Can we communicate with SOAP web services via OpenLayers

Brad Eckrose brad.eckrose at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:58:38 EST 2009

I would like to see OpenLayers handle RPC bindings in some fashion.
Not all GISes are MapServer and not all interaction with a GIS server
should be enumerated in a javascript API.

I think both endpoints are problematic  On the server, you need an API
that can handle the request as easy as the Java or C# web-services
APIs.  I don't know if there is PHP or Perl have support for soap
web-services or WSDL generation.  Java and .NET work pretty well
though.

On the client, if it's only a web browser, you really need to have a
special use if you're going to parse a WSDL and serialize Soap
requests.    It's easier to do with a standalone program and one of
the thick APIs and IDE plug-ins.

But if you really have to do it in a browser...

I"ve used the soapclient with some success in the past.  I haven't
tried it recently, nor with MapServer.  It's pretty straightforward to
bind to a wsdl and get a js object; it is not too different than the
json world, just a more verbose format.

http://www.soapclient.com/soaptest.html

Again, "wrapping the map server functionalities with SOAP"  i.e.
publishing the WSDL and responding to RPC requests to it, and turning
those requests into something that you can query or run against
MapServer or it's underlying datasets, in order to get some kind of
useful result that a browser can understand in a simple js
object--that would be the hard part, in my opinion.

Although if ESRI can do it... so can anybody.

Brad