[OpenLayers-Users] IE strategies

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jan 7 11:06:04 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:54:40AM -0500, Yves Moisan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> You've seen my previous post about IE issues with a large number of
> features.  Well, our customers all use IE and there's unfortunately no
> way around that.  Not being able to use OL with a decent number of
> featues in IE is an almost showstopper for us, so I'm asking the
> community :
>
> - are there IE users out there ?
>
> - what do you do to cope with the limitations of IE ?
>
> I heard about people shoving a WMS layer at small scales to avoid having
> a large number of features then coming back to "feature mode" at larger
> scales.  Is that all there is to do ?

You need to limit DOM elements. WMS with a query-on-click works for
that. of course, showing 1000 features won't just be a problem for IE --
it will also be a problem for FF2, mobile browsers, eeepcs, etc.

Anotehr thing I do (on the OpenStreetMap homepage) is load the data,
then ask the user if they want to show it, if it's more than 100
features. That way, they hae the option of making the determination of
whether they think they can load it -- or the optino to zoom in further
if that's what they want.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta