[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Book

Chip Taylor ctaylor at preparedresponse.com
Wed Jan 14 11:46:07 EST 2009

I agree with what most people here have to say about contributions and, if I were more than a developer at a company that uses OL, I'd be extremely happy to contribute financially.  Unfortunately reality is that Open Source is not supported adequately by people and the very nature of Open Source is that it is there for the taking.  That said, to consider otherwise is wishful thinking that, unless the OS model changes (and I don't see it doing that).  I still stick by the statement that good code without good documentation is less than the product it should be.  I also realize that given the model and the reluctance of programmers to document code I doubt the situation will change much.  Hey, I totally understand that.  Without the incentive of remaining employed I doubt I would do as much documentation in my job as I do.  If indeed a book could be published I know I could convince my management to buy copies.  But to ask them to spend money to have it created from scratch, well, it just ain't gonna happen. (especially in the present economic climate)..

Chip Taylor
Lead Web Developer

Prepared Response, Inc.
1142 Broadway Plaza, Suite 400
Tacoma, WA 98402
253-272-1483 office
253-948-2525 cell
253-272-1562 fax
ctaylor at preparedresponse.com

www.preparedresponse.com

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Prepared Response, Inc. immediately at (206) 223-5544 and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments