[OpenLayers-Users] Generate Numbered Icons on the Fly

Arnie Shore ashore3 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 23:54:05 EST 2009

Folks, for those of you working in PHP-land and can use numbered icons,
the attached script may be of interest.

I'm using this for a GMaps-based (for now) Open Source dispatch system
that uses numbered icons rather extensively.  Until recently, I've
packaged the script with 400+ numbered and colored icons to accommodate
busier sites.  While that's worked, it's admittedly rather clumsy and
really bloats the installation zipfile.

The attached script generates numbered - or lettered - icons on the
fly.  It assumes eight colors and the usual teardrop shapes.  It ain't
hugely complex - to say the least - but mebbe useful, although you'll
need some PHP chops to adapt it to yr own use.

(See the application at http://www.saefern.org/tickets/ - guest login
available.)

Arnie Shore
Annapolis, MD