[OpenLayers-Users] Request data from static source

Ivan Grcic igrcic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 06:28:18 EST 2009

Hi Abuki,

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Abuki <abuki at argo.in> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was trying to solve my problem by posting on dev list, maybe I´m stupid
> but I still don´t find solution.
> Let me generalize it:
>
> 1) I´m not skilled in OpenLayers and the only server-side language I can use
> is PHP, so I want my application to be as much as possible browser-side.
>
> 2) Is there any possibility to re-load/request data from static source
> (KML/GML/XML.. or some other format) with no server-side action?
> I want to have static source (file) with many (thousand) vectors data
> (images will be wonderful too). And I want browser to view just the visible
> vectors and when I browse map the browser (client-side) will request
> additional visible vector features and draw it to map.
> Becaouse when I load the whole file bigger which is bigger than  500kb,
> browser is getting very slow.

OL achieves this trough its Strategies, like BBOX strategy
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-bbox.html

> I dont need to have my data stored in some database/server, I can generate
> them just once for a long time and I´m finding installing some server-side
> services too hard to do for me.
>
> Is somethink like that possible, or will it be? I think that for
> less-skilled user like me, it would be great.

I think that strategy doesnt work if ur vector layer gets data from
some GML file, it has to  fetch it from some WFS server (correct me if
im worng)
Its not hard to make one, take a look at geoserver.org.
You dont have to put date in database if u dont want, you can put it
in one shape file, its easy try it.

Hope it helps,
Ivan