[OpenLayers-Users] Thematic map and legend

goliah bianchimro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 06:36:58 EST 2009

Hi again,

after some advice given me, I've come to a more precise specification. here
it is.

I'd like to develop a javascript implementation of the whole thing,
featuring:

*classifying a general vector layer (any type) based on attribute
*mapping classification to a color palette
*create automatically a legend widget.

I think it should be possible.
My idea is the following:

given a vector layer and a feature attribute:

- provide a couple of simple functions to extract classes
    *given an array of boundaries
    *with uniform distribution, given a number of classes toget

- iterate through features and add a "class" attribute (or sth alike)
calculating it with one of the above functions or another function
defined onthe fly

- create a stylemap using the class attribute. It would be nice to
have a nice mechanism to use a predefined palette. And it would be
nice to define a set of predefined palettes (which are just constant
arrays or sth alike)

- create a function that builds the legend for the given classes and
palette.

Do you think it is feasible?
Regards

Mauro