[OpenLayers-Users] Google license

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 01:12:08 EDT 2009

Peter,

broadly speaking, your simply still bound to all google's map api restrictions,
bar the fact that your allowed to embed via OL rather than the gmaps api.

Gmaps doesn't allow usage which is non free (ie password protected)
without a commercial license. Therefore you might be going to run into
such issues with things like reports

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Peter Dawn<petedawn at gmail.com> wrote:
> i might add, what are the legal complications of generating reports or
> screenshots of OL with google maps as the base layer. perhaps even in
> commercial documentation or reports or brochures etc.
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Richard
> Greenwood<richard.greenwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am confused with regard to the legal aspects of using Google maps in
>> OL. Is this the license, or terms of service, that governs use of
>> Google map layers in within OpenLayers:
>> http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS or is there a different one?
>>
>> Under http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS It says:
>> "5.3 You agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the
>> Services by any means other than through the interface that is
>> provided by Google..."
>> So is Google referring to their server interface here, not their
>> client JavaScript interface? And thus it is okay to use OL instead of
>> the Google map API?
>>
>> Basically my questions is: From a legal perspective, is there any
>> difference between consuming and displaying Google map layers in
>> OpenLayers as opposed to doing the same in Google maps API? I know
>> that people are generally reluctant to express legal opinions, but any
>> general hints or pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Richard Greenwood
>> richard.greenwood at gmail.com