[OpenLayers-Users] approach to memory leaks in IE

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Thu Jun 11 13:54:36 EDT 2009

Hi,

OpenLayers is known to have some memory leaks. Common leak patterns
are explained in [1]. Leaks as described here sometimes come from
using innerHTML carelessly. Places in OL that use innerHTML are listed
in [2].

Patches removing leak patterns are always welcome. See [3] for details
on how to contribute, or contact one of the companies that provide
support for OpenLayers if you want to provide funding to have memory
leaks fixed.

Regards,
Andreas.

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-memleak/
[2] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1424
[3] http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/HowToContribute

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Wolfgang Gehner<wgehner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have started to use OpenLayers (with IE7 on Vista) and am finding
> that a webapp that navigates to an OL.map gets slower over time (seen
> in initial load time as well as in the speed of rendering polygons,
> for example).
>
> So I started to dig into memory leaks, with Drip
> (http://outofhanwell.com/ieleak), beginning with some very basic
> examples.
>
> I am finding that every screen refresh increases browser memory
> consumption by a few MB. I saw this on
>
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/stylemap.html but also
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/accessible.html
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/all-overlays.html
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/baseLayers.html
>
> What's the recommended approach to deal with that?
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Wolfgang

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/