[OpenLayers-Users] Projection and extent confusion

Alexandre.Laplante at statcan.gc.ca Alexandre.Laplante at statcan.gc.ca
Thu Jun 18 11:33:25 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am confused about how projections and extent work in openlayers. I
have map data that is in EPSG:42304. I have not changed any projection
or extent settings in openlayers. When I try to view my data with
openlayers, the map comes out upsidedown and squeezed.

I'm using mapserver, and when I go to this address:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=../test/service/alex.map&servic
e=WMS&version=1.1.1&layer=gcar&SRS=EPSG:42304&mode=map
the map renders properly. But when I try to view it with default
settings in openlayers, it comes out wrong.

My question is, do I have to let openlayers know what is the projection
and extent of my data, and if so, how?
Thanks in advance,
Alexandre Laplante