[OpenLayers-Users] How to get Blue Marble imagery? WMS, WorldWind, WMS Tiled, ...

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at rigacci.org
Fri Jun 19 06:24:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

I was trying to get a Blue Marble [1] background from some public
available service.

I see that there is a standard WMS server here [2] which it works
using the OpenLayers.Layer.WMS() function. But the server is not
very reliable (several 500 Internal Server Error).

I also used a WorldWind service here [3] which is working using
the OpenLayers.Layer.WorldWind() function. But also here I get
several 'Service denied due to system overload' errors in the

Is there some way to use the "WMS Tiled" service from NASA [4] in
OpenLayers? Is that service more reliable than standard WMS or
WorldWind?

Thank you.

[1] http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BlueMarble/
[2] http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi