[OpenLayers-Users] Toolbar in different Frame - Problem with Internet Explorer

Thomas_M thomas.maschler at gmx.net
Sun Mar 1 09:36:26 EST 2009

Hi to all,
I want to display the toolbar panel in a different frame than the map.
Firefox likes my way in approaching it but IE does not at all.

I was trying to display it this way
        var container = parent.menu_frame.document.getElementById("panel");
        [...]
        var panel = new OpenLayers.Control.Panel({div: container}, [...])

but with IE the debugger stops in the panel.js at

       this.div.appendChild(element);

if I display the toolbar in the same frame using
         var container = document.getElementById("panel");
or
         var container = OpenLayers.Util.getElement('panel');

there is no Problem at all. There are several other things I am writing into
the second frame (although not directly via an OL command), all of this
works fine in IE, too. Did someone came across this problem already and
knows a work around?

Thanks in advance

Thomas