[OpenLayers-Users] Another "Can OpenLayers do this?" question

Ken Martin ken at kpmartin.com
Tue Mar 3 12:13:37 EST 2009

I hope I can explain this reasonably well.

I have some raster data I'd like to layer into an OpenLayers map.

In one case, I'd like to send the full frame image upon completion of
a user drag. So if I have a 200 x 200 map showing (so 0,0,200,200),
and a user clicks in it and drags 50 pixels right and 20 down, I'd
like for OpenLayers to be able to ask for an image that is
50,20,250,200, thus filling in the whole visible frame with an
entirely new image. Does that make sense and is that possible?

Also, can OpenLayers communicate moved-x-pixels and moved-y-pixels in
it's request for an image at some event like onDragEnd. (Obviously,
I'm just making up var and event names to try to get the idea across.)

I do know a real tiled image server of some kind would be more
efficient, but that's not yet possible in my case.

Thanks, and (as always) I'm sorry if this is a hideously uninformed
question. :)

Ken Martin